livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] How Diet and #Climate ChangeAreIntrinsicallyLinked

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: tradingpost <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] How Diet and #Climate ChangeAreIntrinsicallyLinked
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 14:02:25 -0600

I had forgotten about all those problems with grain diets for cows. Serious problems for those who eat cows.

On 9/17/2014 1:42 PM, John D'hondt wrote:

First let me agree the permaculture principles are sound; it's what the
money grubbing "certified" teachers have done to it. $900 US to listen
to somebody talk for a week, then you get a certificate! & then you can
put on your own seminars & charge $900, as they advertize, all without
actually doing any growing or homesteading of any kind. They even
copywrited the word "Permaculture" to be able to sue anybody using it
without their royalties. BTW Mollison feels the same way. And he wrote
the book on it.

<Yes, unfortunately the world is full of money grabbing varmints. In my book the only justification for being alive is trying to make this a better world. And making money from someone elses ideas does not fit in there. I'm not even sure that making money from your own ideas is so great. Invent a new super efficient engine or a new way of free energy and try to patent it and chances are you will find yourself killed by the vested interests who don't want to loose out on their old ways of raping the planet.
So far I have only made minor inventions, mostly to do with plant and animal diseases and I have always given them away for free to anybody showing an interest. If I should come up with a potentially rich making new something you will be able to read all about it on line shortly afterwards for free.

Second, I believe the emissions they refer to include ALL the fossil
fuel use that goes into the grain growing, equipment, feeding, watering,
& transporting & finishing beef for market with CAFOs that make up the
vast majority of beef production in this country. Not cow farts.

< OK and I agree that that is sick. Cows have adapted to a food that is useless to us and that we can't digest and that is the only food we have ever given them. Feeding them grain makes them a different animal altogether and not very good for human consumption. They then develop E. coli H157 in their digestive tracts that can be easily deadly to people and they lack omega 3 fats to name but a few differences.
We happen to live in a country that grows gras better than anything else and it makes sense to keep cattle on such land. We don't need grain, equipment, not a lot of transport (and a good bit of this by horse cart) and the cattle finish themselves by the end of summer when they look round and happy and with have a gleaming coat. We do need to feed silage and hay during winter but the energy this costs is much less than people driving to town every day to go shopping. Feeding cattle in winter is all hand work for us. Also with our way of rearing cattle a sick animal is something we don't see often at all. I can't remember when we last had to call in a vet.

John