livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Test

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Test
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 20:39:38 -0000

That was one of my first thoughts :) It could be worse. I am reading a book by the anthropologist David Graeber. (Debt : the first 5,000 years)
One thing I have learned from it is that anybody who has still a bit of humanity inside himself is really a baseline communist and that communism is as old as mankind. That except for the super rich we are all communists really.
The basic idea of communism is "From everybody according to his ability, to everybody according to his needs."
Capitalist economic science has as a basic premise that everybody but everybody is only looking out for his own self interest.

Now take a situation that you see a small child fall in one meter deep water where it is drowning.
Are you a capitalist who does not want to make his pants wet when there is no profit in it for you?
Or are you a communist who has the ability to save that child (in need of help) and you do so without a second thought?

I think it is high time that we define these loaded words, anarchy, communism and capitalism from time to time so that we keep understanding one another. Maybe the NSA can learn something from it.
John