livingontheland - [Livingontheland] eat healthy - how?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: tradingpost <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] eat healthy - how?
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 17:14:01 -0700

We keep seeing articles and food experts urging everyone to eat healthy, focus on your veggies, provide good food to "food deserts", farm to school, and so on. But something's missing and nobody here talks about it. It's the fact that there isn't enough of the healthy food being grown to supply all these people. We've seen farmers markets multiply across the US, yet from what I've seen, most can't even meet demand in the local neighborhood - much less a town or large institution. We've checked in on several around this state and only a handful out of dozens seem to have enough growers to justify even having a market. The problem with that is it takes a certain critical mass of growers to attract the buyers, and enough buyers to justify the growers' showing up. A lot of talk and not enough growing. I know the main reason for it and what it takes to change that, but I'm only one and I'm not well known enough to make the lecture circuit. Or inclined to try. People are afraid of Work.