livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] eat healthy - how?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] eat healthy - how?
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 23:39:28 -0000

And maybe there is not enough money in work Paul. I used to grow vegetables for sale to organic food shops and restaurants using organic vegetables and I had to give it up since we lost money at it. A restaurant 25 miles away ringing you up at 9 p.m asking to bring 4 heads of lettuce in a hurry... Need anything else? No just the lettuce but it is urgent. And then you get paid the going rate of 20 cent per head of lettuce...
Consumers are crazy and things have not gotten better. Around Christmas there were several big supermarkets here that had carrots, brussels sprouts, cabbages etc. for sale at 5 cent per kilo. Tons of them.
And it is no better with meat. At a good time we get maybe $ 50 for a 40 kilo lamb. Go to a butcher after having sold your lambs and you can spend $ 30 for one leg of lamb. At bad times I have seen good sheep sell for less than $1 per piece and good calves for $ 5.

And if you see what poison people spend their money on it is understandable that things are as they are. Go to a supermarket and see how many 2 liter bottles of diet coke are being moved. I think I said this before but I have been very succesfully using diet coke to get rid of an exploding rat population. Before I started using the diet coke our rats were extremely smart and healthy on a pure organic diet(our plant crops). They avoided traps and bait. It took a few weeks to get them addicted to aspartame and they got fat and stupid and more interested in diet coke than organic peas. They once more let themselves be trapped in traps that had not worked for years. If I had a McD's closer by I might have gotten them used to big macs with the same effect.

From what I see here there is not really a need for more organic food. The
stalls in Bantry mart never sell out on a Friday.
And most people who are interested in heating healthy do grow at least some if not all of their own food.
John

We keep seeing articles and food experts urging everyone to eat healthy,
focus on your veggies, provide good food to "food deserts", farm to
school, and so on. But something's missing and nobody here talks about
it. It's the fact that there isn't enough of the healthy food being
grown to supply all these people. We've seen farmers markets multiply
across the US, yet from what I've seen, most can't even meet demand in
the local neighborhood - much less a town or large institution. We've
checked in on several around this state and only a handful out of dozens
seem to have enough growers to justify even having a market. The problem
with that is it takes a certain critical mass of growers to attract the
buyers, and enough buyers to justify the growers' showing up. A lot of
talk and not enough growing. I know the main reason for it and what it
takes to change that, but I'm only one and I'm not well known enough to
make the lecture circuit. Or inclined to try. People are afraid of Work.