livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Living on this little island.

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dan Conine <dconine@bertramwireless.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Living on this little island.
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 11:24:59 -0600

Thanks for the replies, John and Diane.

As for the religion aspect, John: I agree. The tangent I think we should follow though, is that religion is the marketing department for the Town Meeting. In other words, the trick to getting people to meet is to find something that will keep them coming to the meetings. Churches use donuts and pies. Municipalities have often used blue laws to get people to use their day of rest (hopefully by participating in communal activities). Going to the meetings to worship God is like going to the Super Bowl to watch the advertisements (in U.S. vernacular).
I think the rest is a matter of doing what people do best: establishing habits that they will follow. As the old saying goes, If you want to get people to do the right things, then the right things have to be easier to do than the wrong things. The guilt and fear of churches is supposed to make the wrong things harder, but I think most places and people have lost the ability to determine what the right things are, or even to bother themselves with questioning. The glossies and TV make it seem that anything making money must be right.

The Invisible Hand is my White Whale. People do stuff. They have reasons for doing stuff. In that order.

Dan C
Belgium, WI USA