livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] 'Organic' from China exposed

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: tradingpost@lobo.net
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] 'Organic' from China exposed
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 21:14:56 -0700

John, as a market grower I myself have specific doubts about "organics", but not about it being good for u of course. Research shows how "organic" is bastardized by Big Ag in USA. Even the monster Whole Foods chain peddles lots of GMOs in their processed items. More subtle is the way certification works here. As Eliot Coleman & others point out, it's all process-based, with no reliance on produce testing of any kind. Long as they have the paperwork to show various organic methods, no test will show pesticides, herbicides, or chemical fertilizers in the soil. Anyone can see this in the federal organic standards for certification.

Now I choose to believe many growers, certified or not, use none of those no-nos because I don't. However even consciencious growers can't be 100% certain their soil amendments don't contain any barred contaminents. We're not certified, too costly at small scale with many varieties. We're asked often by customers and we won't fudge our claims. We're also convinced that cheating affects the flavor & keeping qualities of produce. In fact chemical nitrogen causes tomatoes to take on more water which tends to dilute the flavor. We're fanatics about the most flavorful varieties - mostly Italian heirlooms - and it would be a shame to ruin them. And our customer loyalty is rewarding financially & otherwise. Lots of trial & error but it helps that Barb grew up knowing the best immigrant varieties from the Old Country.