livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Plan for Food Self-Sufficiency

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org, OWL-OldWaysLiving@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Plan for Food Self-Sufficiency
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 09:52:54 -0600

A Plan for Food Self-Sufficiency

Planning a garden in advance can help you enjoy local, homegrown food
year-round! Estimate how much to grow or buy and learn how to achieve food
security with these guidelines.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/modern-homesteading/food-self-sufficiency-zm0z12onzkon.aspx#ixzz27af6tTGG

Now I'd rather use the term Self Reliance rather than Self Sufficiency
because it's not as unatainable a goal. None of us are 100% self sufficient.
In fairness they do mention at the end that sharing & exchanging with others
is part of it. But this article does make a lot of sensible points including
Jeavons' biointensive beds - which I practice about 90%. The parts about oils
& syrups I haven't seen anywhere else in my library or online. All in all the
best general brief on it I've come across. YMMV

paul tradingpost@lobo.net

  • [Livingontheland] Plan for Food Self-Sufficiency, Tradingpost, 09/26/2012