livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] true heirloom tomato taste

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] true heirloom tomato taste
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 10:31:44 -0600

Good question, Joan in Kansas, & (surprise) my favorite subject in the whole
world ;-) Maybe not you at all. Could be a seed problem tho I do trust
Gourmet Seed down the road from us. What they carry is the Costoluto
Fiorentino. Soil & temps can be seriously challenging. They do need regular
water but not stay wet. Your climate may not be as low humidity as ours. Prob
I have the Fiorentino Costoluto & by selective seed saving I've gotten rid of
the ribbing. Still Genovese flavor, going back 200 yrs to Florence or Genoa.

We have few problems long as water is weekly or more. We get some splitting
up in the 90s, can't seem to prevent that. July was our hottest month on NM
record, likely slowed fruit set for August harvesting, tho I was able to pick
$180 worth for mkt this PM (then repick tomorrow for a much bigger mkt Sun
morning). Our soil is a little alkaline but the beds inside greenhouses are
amended with dried, screened horse manure plus alfalfa meal, greensand, bone
meal etc. I gave up watching for hornworms ages ago since they form a jungle
10-12 ft high. Always learning. 2 ft apart seems ok if earliest low branches
are pruned & later branches are tied up with cotton clothesline to horizontal
cords around uprights to the rafters. Well I do make it complicated & time
consuming but it works, & at mkts we can state it's very old Italian heirloom
& then one taste sells everyone. Really need to get another greenhouse over
the outside beds for next spring, but right now fall greens & carrots are
competing for my time & daylight is shrinking on both ends.

One of many interesting pages on Genovese thru Google
http://www.cherrygal.com/tomatoindcostolutogenoveseheirloomseeds2009-p-10054.html