livingontheland - [Livingontheland] living on the land

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: <bob@4agoodauction.com>
  • To: <Livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] living on the land
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 13:53:02 -0500

Perhaps a library of sorts with guide books on subjects for survival that could be printed out now. Put the library away until needed or start to accumulate tools for the future if extreme stress times evolve. Blacksmithing, farming, animal husbandry for small animals, crafting, herb growing and the like could be included. Solar hot water systems and wind power may not be possible without supply lines to get the parts.  I remember seeing pictures of men on islands in WW2 washing clothes in wind powered washing machines made from 55 gallon steel drums. The wind drove a small crank shaft with a single rod that simply went up and down. On the end of the rod was a plunger that pushed the clothes up and down in soapy water for however long it took. The drum was emptied and fresh rinse water introduced and again the pumping action of the crank. I just believe a practical library of not theoretical but useful information in one place would be very handy. I am sure that there is lots on the UN site for third world countries. I don’t think many folks could find easily what they will need.

Bob c