livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Year Round Vegetable Production with Eliot Coleman - DVD Trailer

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Year Round Vegetable Production with Eliot Coleman - DVD Trailer
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 20:53:29 +0100

Climate in Ireland is a main problem in that the only thing that is certain is uncertainty. So far this year we have not gone beyond 20C. Not that unusual but it slows down cucumbers and tomatoes a lot to name but two.
Last winter we scored as low as -18C which was most unusual. Some winter crops took this in their stride outside especially Russian red kale and Russian onions, Babington leeks, turnips and black radish. In the poly tunnel were the more sensitive salad greens, misuna, mibuna, green in snow, February orchid, malva's and cresses. It got to -14 in there as well.
We expect more or less the same sort of cold winter this year but then maybe not. We had years that I could potter away in the garden in T-shirt and short pants in January but we then got a killing frost in April.
Something always grows.
John

ear round for 25 years Paul. Of course
most
of these vegetables are seasonal but we have a fresh green salad every day
of the year.
john

Year Round Vegetable Production with Eliot Coleman - DVD Trailer
http://www.chelseagreen.com/tv/episode/3975139/

This filmed workshop on year-round vegetable production offers farmers
and
gardeners the rare chance to sit in with Eliot Coleman, one of the
pioneers of the organic farming movement and author of The New Organic
Grower, Four-Season Harvest, and The Winter Harvest Handbook.

--Henry David Thoreau