livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Rising sea levels a myth

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Catherine Noble <cathie@dungog.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Rising sea levels a myth
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 09:29:02 +1000

On 06/15/2011 06:57 AM, Tradingpost wrote:
201106141457060765.0E2799F7@mail.lobo.net" type="cite">
For those who might wonder what all this is about, nobody here is claiming sea rise of several feet now or in the near future. Nobody has claimed the global sea rise to date is enough for us ordinary folks to even notice. The issue is global warming and CO2 concentrations that over a century or less that could cause a small rise that would force millions of climate refugees in lowest lying coastal areas to migrate to higher ground, losing critical farmland & bringing widespread famine.

paul tradingpost@lobo.net
Perhaps those who wish for proof might like to look at
 http://hungrybeast.abc.net.au/stories/tuvalu

The "Hungry Beast" referrred to is the media.
 This show is half an hour a  week of thought provoking, heavily researched, free to air journalism, produced by the publicly funded Australian Broadcasting Commission, who based their structure on the BBC with similar production and ethical standards.
This is the tv station that provided a public platform  for "The Chaser" the comedy team that scandalised the US when APEC came to Sydney a few years ago, according to Wikipedia ,

"The Chaser crew entered a secure area by masquerading as the motorcade of the Canadian delegation to APEC. They were arrested by police after Licciardello emerged from the car dressed as Osama bin Laden, near the hotel where U.S. President George W. Bush was staying."

Being a publicly funded broadcaster allows them to keep a little to the side of the commercial frenzy, and produce a large number of programs that make you go "Hmm," informing you in an amusing way that sticks in the mind and prompts action. (ok, yes, we're very proud of Aunty ABC-she's been good to us for over 50 years, and politicians of every colour swear she's biased against them, so we're fairly sure she's still working for us.)
Probably more than you wanted to know about Aus tv, but a little background is necessary to give some basis for judging whether or not it's worth your effort to look at the site. About 20 years ago, some politician said the ABC was too expensive, and they should have their funding cut. Then someone did the numbers and made a statement that Aunty was costing 8 (Australian)cents, per person, per day. Since then, we have come to measure things by whether or not they're "worth my 8 cents,"  and both these teams are definitely in that category.

YMMV
Catherine