livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Extending the Harvest in Your Home Garden

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Extending the Harvest in Your Home Garden
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 21:45:00 -0600

Right. Writers make it sound like setting up extension stuff is all there is
to it. NOT. And I don't even have to deal with year round due to our winters.
And marketing involves a lot of earlier seed starting under protection and
transplanting when direct planting would be fine normally. All out extension
can double the work, just to have early vegetables weeks ahead of other
growers. Right now store tomatoes here come from enormous greenhouses in
Mexico. They can't sell at our local markets. People would avoid them like
the plague anyway. No flavor.

Getting that earlier start here has been a royal pain. I set up plastic cover
for tomato beds inside the greenhouse but it meant pulling the plastic down
carefully over the hoops and laying 2x4s on the edges to hold airtight. It
worked even down to 20 outside but did have small heaters in 4 of the beds
under the hoops. And reverse the process every morning, for maybe 6 wks. That
was a quickie setup but it's a pain and got to be easier setup next year. A
lot of flats and pots needing early starts did fit between the tomatoes till
last frost. BTW it was hula hoops from the dollar store.

Not everything worked out this spring. Lots of early winter squash pots were
set out under hoops and covers but being outside they froze that cold nite.
More gallon backups were set out this week with more to set out. Fingerlings
& asparagus got set back in the cold and may still sprout enough.

Garden books & articles don't go into this kind of detail. But the Devil is
really in the details. Still way too much to learn.