livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Autumn olives

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Liz" <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Autumn olives
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 08:54:06 -0400

Barbara, very sorry, I just saw this.

Autumn olives are considered to be invasive weeds here too, but they are
also a valuable food. They have higher levels of lycopenes than raw
tomatoes, and are also high in carotenoids. Here is one link that describes
their nutritional
value-- http://www.psa-rising.com/eatingwell/wild-foods/autumnolive.htm

I mash them and remove the pits with a Victoria strainer, and then use the
juice to make jelly or wine. I also freeze the juice to mix with other berry
juice, like blackberry. Haven't tried mixing it with grape juice, since my
grapes haven't begun to bear yet and I don't have a source for reasonably
priced organic grape juice. But it should be good with grape juice. We also
just eat them straight off the trees. They're a good source of food between
the time when blackberries are ripe and when persimmons are edible. This is
the first year I've had chickens, so I haven't tried feeding them to the
chickens yet. That will be interesting. I'm always looking for forage for
them, to cut down on the amount of purchased food.

You can find a similar plant in nurseries (and in juice and tablet form in
health food stores) sold by the name of goumi. It's a relative of the autumn
olive that is apparently not as invasive. I wouldn't bother planting it
since we have so many of the autumn olives here.

Liz

----- Original Message ----- From: "Barbara Money" <bmoney9@verizon.net>