livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Deadfall for soil improvementRe: Making Biochar in my New Char Chamber

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pego Rice <firekeeper38@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Deadfall for soil improvementRe: Making Biochar in my New Char Chamber
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 10:23:33 -0700 (PDT)

The thing seems to be that you are up in arid country, right?  The branches are not decomposing where they fall, taht says lack of moisture.  I can see why biochar is a sollution for you.

What I would think about is arrainging those deadfall branches into water-capture swales.  That way they will help "Grab" the available moisture and hold onto it.  Salt these swales with a little bit of hte char and you should see some fast rooting to hold those swales together.

It's a thought
Yours, Pego

"Based on the number of dead branches I've pulled up from under the soil I'm skeptical using them as cores for huegel beds in that soil. It would be nice to capture that carbon and put it back in the ground, however for obvious reasons we can't let them sit on top of the soil and decay over decades. So what sort of things would you consider in a case like ours?"