livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] [KC No-Till] Adding Biochar and WinterizingGarden Beds

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Marty Kraft <martyk@allspecies.org>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] [KC No-Till] Adding Biochar and WinterizingGarden Beds
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 15:28:33 -0600

Yes, my soil is basic. That's the only reason for the Sulfur.

Thanks

Marty
On 2/9/11 1:42 PM, John D'hondt wrote:
What is in a name? Pacification of the natives really means genocide, but genocide sounds so crude. Bio-char is one of these words. Bio means life, comes from the old Greek. But charcoal is deader than a dodo. It is sterile and then some, the oldest and maybe best wood preservative known to mankind. It is bad for the planet to produce it and I have never seen it do any good in soil.

Also adding sulfur where it is not needed can do a lot of harm. Is your soil too alkaline? Or lacking sulfur?
john

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marty Kraft" <martyk@allspecies.org>