livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] TWO AGRICULTURES, NOT ONE, By John Michael Greer

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] TWO AGRICULTURES, NOT ONE, By John Michael Greer
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 13:19:01 -0700 (PDT)

In my case it is about 1 to 10; i.e, I use mulching materials from 10 acres
to feed 1 acre of vegetable beds. But that is probably not typical since I
live in an arid climate with poor soils. The ratio is bound to be much lower
in regions with more rain and better soil where more biomass is produced per
acre. Also, mulched gardening is unusual for arid regions. Traditional
farming in this like most other arid regions uses bare soil cultivation
together with manure from goats which can survive on shrub land during the
summer when grasses and other annuals have dried. But no matter whether we
use mulch or manure, there is a constant transfer of fertility from the
fields to the garden. The question really is; what is more efficient: manure
or mulch? But I guess the answer will very much depend on local conditions.

Regarding the question of compost versus manure, I think manure always ought
to be composted, while plant residues should be returned as surfaces mulches
for in-place composting whenever possible because heap composting, especially
high temperature composting, always involves a loss of nutrients. I only use
heap composting for plant residues when I don’t have enough water to keep the
mulched area wet because without humidity the mulch isn’t going to decompose.
It requires less water to keep a compost heap wet than a mulched area.

Dieter Brand
Portugal