livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] An Experiment in Country Living by Peter Goodchild

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] An Experiment in Country Living by Peter Goodchild
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 22:29:04 +0100

An Experiment in Country Living
by Peter Goodchild 01 August 2010
http://www.culturechange.org/cms/content/view/668/1/

Interesting story Paul. Our own transition to land life was no doubt even rougher. We had about two months to decide where we were going to jump to having given up the job and sold our house in Belgium. We bought a farm in Ireland of about 40 acres we thought. Then we found out we had to take the full available 80 acres or lose our down payment and when we calculated we might just have enough money the seller raised the price and stripped us bare.
So we arrived here with three small children (between 1 and 4), a van load of tools and about $400 cash with no way to another source of income. Furniture was on it's way in a container on the high seas and took 7 months to arrive. So for 7 months we had no table or bed.
First thing we did was start making hay with our scythe under normal rainy autumn conditions and after a week or so we bought two goats. We have never stopped working since.
But we are still alive and well almost 25 years later. And the children grew up fast and strong and there are now a few grand children who seem to go the same way.
john