livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] An Experiment in Country Living by Peter Goodchild

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] An Experiment in Country Living by Peter Goodchild
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 21:29:25 -0600

This little bit from Goodchild caught my eye:

"We did not expect money making to be the principal issue in country living,
but such was the case. Although we ran a one-acre market garden as
efficiently as possible, a profit always seemed to elude us. .. My
suggestions that people rediscover their rural origins didn't get very far.
The young disliked country living and were rather ashamed of it. The
middle-aged took the attitude, not that "anything worth doing is worth doing
well," but that it is worth doing only with heavy machinery."

Goodchild is a smart guy and educated and motivated, and ran up against the
same problem I was talking about - the difficulty of making a living (or any
profit at all) producing food for local selling. And the younger generations
don't want anything to do with it. In my view this is a huge issue, the issue
of the near future that rivals all others.

We had a terrific day at our biggest market today, likely better than almost
any other sellers there. But it's still not enough to justify the months of
work going into it. We'll keep exploring the options, the marketing and the
cost cutting. But two different problems that aren't going away: where we are
the growing depends on grid irrigation, and the local selling depends on
fossil fuel transportation.