livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Muscovies/ Re: grasshoppers

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Norma Sutton <sweetspringfarm@gmail.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Muscovies/ Re: grasshoppers
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 00:58:24 -0400

Here is the last information that came across the NC poultry group. It's were I got the link from.
Norma

Re: [ncpoultry2] Muscovy Madness

The Federal Fish & Wildlife banned Muscovies as of March this year.  The regulation allowed for currently owned pet muscovies to be 'grandfathered' in but did not allow for them to be bred, sold, traded, bought, etc.  Muscovies raised for food were allowed but required a federal permit to do so.   All this because feral Muscovies in FL were becoming a nuisance and causing problems with native wildlife.

The outcry from Muscovy owners/breeders was HUGE.  Fish & Wildlife claimed they had NO idea Muscovies were so popular (I guess because they don't have Google and therefore couldn't bring up the thousands of pages praising Muscovies as ideal pets, homestead additions, etc).

The last I understand it the regulation is still in effect BUT they are not enforcing it at this time while they work on an amendment to allow for pet & small farm owners to continue raising/selling them.  I will give them credit for responding to the slew of letters, emails, etc and trying to rectify it. I think overall they are trying to allow for us Muscovy owners as long as we're responsible about it (i.e. no releasing in the wild, etc)

In the meantime, I had a certain talk with my Muscovies. I don't think they were impressed with my saying they couldn't breed. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure they ignored me :-)

The actual text of the regulation can be found here:
http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/RegulationsPolicies/reg2010/Muscovy%20Duck%20Final%20Rule%201%20March%202010.pdf