livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Muscovies/ Re: grasshoppers

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pego Rice <firekeeper38@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Muscovies/ Re: grasshoppers
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 11:32:46 -0700 (PDT)

I think you need to link us to the specific law.

My brief google has simply swept up a bunch of gossip on the lists and this article about the Feds trying to work out a functional conservation rule.  Neither gossip nor rule translate to law.  Muscovies are an imported breed that has been used by Development companies to add "atmosphere" around here and other southern states by dumping them out to take over the man-made lakes on golf courses and in subdivisions.  Here, they have shown themselves well capable of foraging and out breeding both competition and predators. These traits are something the breed is known for and great in a homestead critter that has some method of control, but in a population that can roam or is dumped into the region, that makes them both an invasive species and an environmental hazard. It looks like the Gov't has placed a rule against this open release activity by the developers.  So far as I can see, that doesn't have any effect on home and food growers except to warn us to make sure they don't "Go Native" outside our fence lines.

Yours, Pego