livingontheland - [Livingontheland] "let us cultivate our garden"

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] "let us cultivate our garden"
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 15:17:24 -0600

In 1759 Voltaire published Candide, in the last chapter of which Dr. Pangloss
reiterates his dubious claim that all is for the best in the best of possible
worlds. “‘Excellently observed,’ answered Candide; ‘but let us cultivate our
garden.’”

As we hang on to the edge of the cliff, it’s a waste of time to say things
will get better. It’s also a waste of time to say we should just wait. The
truth is almost the opposite. The real solution is to get out of it all. The
world ten thousand years ago had no “economy.” The world doesn’t need an
“economy.” We need to get out of the economy, not wait for it to improve.
Candide had the right idea.

http://www.countercurrents.org/goodchild180710.htm

--Henry David Thoreau