livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] "No till" is a big white lie

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: mdnagel@verizon.net
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] "No till" is a big white lie
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 22:01:10 -0500 (CDT)

Ken,

It's not like I'm doubting you (or anyone else on this list), but there seems to be an absence of measurement here.  What I'd asked is whether it's a scale issue.  Can HUGE fields be managed in a no-till fashion: when I say HUGE I mean the standard US BIG AG farms that perhaps Logsdon might have in mind?

And yes, I realize that HUGE mono culture cropping has a dead future (in which case the issue of HUGE farm cropping is likely moot).  I'm only trying to figure out how Logsdon could be off track in his thinking (which, since he's NOT part of this discussion, is not able to defend/clarify himself).

-Mark Nagel
Everett, WA

Jun 17, 2010 07:28:59 PM, livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Size has nothing to do with it. There are no-till row planters and no-till drills
>and no-till crimpers. I have seen them. Several countries in Latin America
>have farmers who are true no-till; never till for any reason, in any way.
I know a cotton farmer here, at the time I met him, had not had a plow in his
>soil for 30 years. Same with Steve Groff. New Farm has a lot of info on real
>no-till.
Ken H

I'm kind of torn about all of this. I'm a fan of Logsdon's.