livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] sewage systems

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan@windwalkerfarm.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] sewage systems
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 16:23:27 -0500

Title: Re: [Livingontheland] sewage systems
I was just on-line googling for technical information on the construction.  Ours was based on Bill Wolverton’s work but his book, Growing Clean Water, is now out of print.  I sold the county and the state on trying these as an alternative to sewage lagoons (their “treatment” choice).  However, the state over-designed ours because they really had no clue what to do.  We would like to rebuild ours more to the original specifications that Wolverton designed but I’m not finding much on line.  I’ll have to go back to the old documents that I have from him in the early 90’s.

Ours is about 17’ x 50’ according to the plans.  It has a pond liner that covers the bottom and sides.  This is covered with 12” to 14” of 1” gravel.  The gravel was filled with water to about a 12” depth and the plants were inserted into the gravel with their roots covered with water.  The plants were spaced 24” apart and we used: (10)water iris, (10)yellow iris, (100)sweet flag, & (50) pickerel plant.  These were purchased from Wildlife Nurseries in Oshkosh, WI.  We did research to see what plants would do well in our area (East Central Kansas).  Enough of these have been built by now to have some good designs out there – I just haven’t found them.

Our household sewage and greywater go into a septic tank first – that was a state requirement.  They also called out an absorption bed that actually never had any water in it because the marsh was too big in our opinion.  We want to relocate it and rebuild according to the specs from Wolverton which call for a much narrower design that moves the waste along quicker.  Something in the range of 3’ to 5’ wide and longer.

These systems have one down side and that is that they must be cleaned every year.  The weeds get in and really take over sometimes.  The cleaning time falls right when we are planting and often falls through the cracks.  I don’t see that the weeds themselves have hurt the system at all.  The whole thing works based on the microbes on the roots of the plants that digest the waste so it seems to me that any plants that act as hosts for the microbes will suffice.

My husband, Jim, can expound on this (and no doubt correct my faulty memory) if you want more info.  We have files full of information on this – they are all from the early 90’s but should still be relevant.  Its weird but I cannot find any regs that KDHE actually wrote on the systems but they are legal in Kansas.

Joan Vibert
Windwalker Farm
Ottawa, Kansas