livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] sewage systems

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan@windwalkerfarm.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] sewage systems
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 12:14:45 -0500

Title: Re: [Livingontheland] sewage systems
"Plants purify the water" is a bit over-simplistic.

Actually its not “over-simplistic” at all.  We’ve had a marsh (rock-plant-filter) system since 1994 that handles all of our sewage on our farm.  We were the second system to go in in Kansas and they used the information collected over several years to write the regulations for the Kansas Department of Health & Environment.  This required monthly testing for at least two years as I recall.  It was amazing – the water at the end of our marsh (its about 12’ x 60’) was 99% pure according to the testing lab.  Actually purer than our drinking water I’m sure.

The same system should be used wherever possible for municipal sewage treatment – its so simple and I’m sure that’s why it doesn’t get considered – it just doesn’t cost enough and cuts out lots of engineers expenses.

Joan Vibert
Windwalker Farm
Ottawa, Kansas