livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The Truth about Vegetarianism

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Tommy Tolson <healinghawk@earthlink.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The Truth about Vegetarianism
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 21:34:10 -0500

Well said.  My model comes from Sharon Wegscheider Cruse's book, Another Chance: Hope and Health for the Alcoholic Family, which has been helping me since 1986, but the model came from the work of a bunch of therapists at an Adult Children of Alcoholics convention when ACAs were a big deal, so it is likely that they have sliced the sausage too thin.  Sharon explains what they considered the distinctions, but I see your point.

I think the bottom line is regaining the capacity to connect with the natural order, if we, as a species, are to avoid extinction this century.  It seems that we agree on that area of thought.

Freya Mathews wrote an excellent book, For Love of Matter: A Contemporary Panpsychism, that tells why reconnection is necessary and what it looks/feels like to recognize the life in those things we have, as a culture, rejected as dead material.  Learning that soil is a living entity supporting many other life forms at Urban Harvest in Houston was a paradigm shift for me, after being taught that soil was dead stuff, and dirty, besides that.

My ignorance had me convinced me that it was an essential component of my self, and that I would no longer be authentic if I learned what it took to get past that ignorance, so I've had to do full-blown grief processes from time time to time as I've moved forward, one way or another.  I know that ignorance is just ignorance, and that I still have plenty of it, just not as much as before.

Thanks for another thoughtful post.

Smiles.
Tommy