livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] phosphate fertilizer too?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms2@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] phosphate fertilizer too?
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 05:59:56 -0700 (PDT)

Organic, no-till farming in permanent beds does not require the purchasing of anything except seed.  The soil gets a little richer each year. I visited a farm in Malawi that was 25 years old and the yields increased just a little bit each year. Soil was as black as the darkest night.

In my workshops, I post an 8½ x 14 inch piece of paper on the wall that says:  Do not buy anything, from anybody, at anytime for the farm.  Farmers in Honduras farm 10 acres with only a machete.

We can feed the world's population regardless of how high it goes.

Ken H