livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] phosphate fertilizer too?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Kate Spinner <kespinner@gmail.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] phosphate fertilizer too?
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 00:43:18 -0400

Just like we need to find an alternative to fossil fuels, we need to find an alternative to phosphate. Extracting it is horrifically destructive. If anyone needs proof of that, visit the Peace River in Southwest Florida where phosphate mining has severely changed the watershed's natural hydrology. The river no longer flows its full length for several months out of the year.