livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Squash Bugs

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Squash Bugs
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 04:56:56 -0400

On 06/01/2010 11:49 AM, Mary Carter wrote:
I never get many melons due to what I think is squash bugs. A co-worker suggested diluting concentrated garlic or lemon juice and spraying with that to deter them. Will this work or is something else better? I live about 30 miles from Houston, TX and bugs are a big problem here.
Thanks
Mary

Once the squash vines start to run, I net the winter squash plot with electric net fencing and put in 3 to 5 guineas. No more squash bug the rest of the season.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us

My book, THE MODERN HOMESTEAD POULTRY FLOCK, will be published next year by
Chelsea Green Publishing.