livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] fencing for livestock

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: <blademan25@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] fencing for livestock
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 16:53:57 -0700 (PDT)

I just completed constructing pens for my dairy goat herd in January.  It has the 2X4 openings and is 68 inches high and VERY HEAVY GAUGE.  The panels were 24 foot lengths and we put posts every 10 feet.  I have had no issues with escaping goats or any predation from coyotes although the raccoons wasted no time in wiping out all my laying hens in there.  We also laid some thin gauge fencing on the ground outside of the pen to prevent coyotes from attempting to dig under.  The males are separated from the females and they will not be able to scale that fence either.  The fencing dealer referred to these panels as "stud panels."    I have had goats for over 20 years and this is the first fencing that I doubt will ever need to be replaced as compared to all other fencing being destroyed every 2 years (by the goats).

Stephen Heilman
Escondido CA