livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] fencing for livestock

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Norma Sutton <sweetspringfarm@gmail.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] fencing for livestock
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 22:58:18 -0400

Hi Doug,
That is what I have for my winter barn pen.  I have to tighten it up periodically and I do have a break along the bottom.  I'm slowly switching over to the horse panels.  They are 5 feet high with 2x4 openings.  The cattle panels work, but don't contain the kids when they are young.  It also doesn't flex like the woven wire does and I've found my dairy girls are really hard on any fence that will flex and will eventually walk it to the ground.
Norma

To contain our goat herd we use heavy duty, 12-gauge wire, five foot tall, horse fence with two by four inch rectangular openings. (Not the thinner, welded wire.)  12-gauge, 2" X 4" wire horse fence is commonly available.  We go to our local Home Depot Pro Desk and ask them for a bid (on orders exceeding $2000.)  They fax our request to their home office and generally phone us the next day to offer a 10% discount.

--
I now have 3 books available in my lulu store:

http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=174864

visit our farm site
at:http://www.freewebs.com/sweetspringfarm/