livingontheland - [Livingontheland] complementary and alternative medicine

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] complementary and alternative medicine
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 10:57:33 -0700

Not exactly on topic but I must pass this on.

paul tradingpost@lobo.net
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"the definition of the health care workforce was amended so that it now
officially includes, "licensed complementary and alternative medicine
providers and integrative health care practitioners."

Health Reform 2.0: Help With the Work We Have to Do Next!
March 26, 2010 09:20 AM Mark Hyman, MD
Practicing physician and pioneer in functional medicine
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/health-reform-20-help-wit_b_513751.html

The health care reform bill has passed and many people will be celebrating
that, finally, the United States will work to assure every citizen health
insurance that cannot be canceled because you change your job, because you
get sick, or for any other reason.

Remember this is just a start to the transformation of health care. While all
of the things I worked for with my colleagues, Drs. Dean Ornish and Michael
Roizen, on Capitol Hill the last year did not make it into the final bill, a
few important things did and we can build on that. In fact, in my last
meeting with Senator Harkin in December, he assured me that the passage of
this bill would be just the beginning of reform and that after it passed we
could move on to health care reform 2.0 that addresses more of the underlying
issues about not only who is covered but what
is covered.

Those of us who believe in preventive health care, integrated health care,
functional medicine, and complementary and alternative medicine have special
reasons to celebrate. This bill has provisions that explicitly support these
approaches to health care. One of these is the creation of a National
Prevention, Health Promotion and Public Health Council, which I testified
about before the Senate last February.

Today I want to introduce you to your new best friend, a friend who has been
working on your behalf for years without your knowing it, a friend who had a
huge role in seeing to it that this health care reform bill addresses
preventive and integrative care.

The Integrated Healthcare Policy Consortium (IHPC) was created in 2002 and
has been quietly working on Capitol Hill to bring about the kinds of changes
in health care that we all want. Last month, I was in New York presenting at
the Integrative Healthcare Symposium and I was on a panel with IHPC's
executive director, Dr. Janet Kahn. When I heard her describe what IHPC has
been doing about health care reform and the things that are lying quietly in
this bill, I got very excited about their work and what is to come in 2010.

Dr. Kahn explained 3 major aspects of this bill that IHPC helped shape:

1. Due to Kahn's work with Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont, the definition
of the health care workforce was amended so that it now officially includes,
"licensed complementary and alternative medicine providers and integrative
health care practitioners."

2. IHPC was a collaborator on the creation of the Wellness Initiative for the
Nation (WIN), a document that prompted the inclusion of the National
Prevention, Health Promotion and Public Health Council that I mentioned
above. Truly remarkable.

3. And third, IHPC worked hard to have the Council on Comparative
Effectiveness Research in the bill. This will allow functional medicine
approaches to be evaluated toe to toe with conventional medicine.

I often say that I practice functional medicine because it tackles and fixes
the underlying causes of health problems and doesn't paper over the symptoms
as so much of conventional medicine does. That is exactly IHPC's approach to
health care reform. IHPC is about reforming the very architecture of American
health care.

I encourage you to join the IHPC Online Action Network as I have done. Help
move this work forward. By joining the Network you will receive updates and
insider information about how IHPC is continuing this commitment to true
health care reform; you will receive opportunities to communicate directly
with Congress and the Obama administration; and you will be able to provide
critical feedback on strategy, priorities, and the direction of this work.
And most importantly, IHPC will be working every day on behalf of you, me,
and all of us who believe in functional medicine, preventive medicine, and
integrated health care.

Take action now and join the Network.