livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] complementary and alternative medicine

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] complementary and alternative medicine
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 08:19:14 -0700

It looks like most of what we need for food and medicine can be produced in
our own back yards or nearby community. At least could be if absolutely
necessary. The thing is, there's no army of enforcers big enough to keep
millions from doing just that.

And healthier, homegrown, diets and herbs may be our salvation from the
crushing sick-care system getting rich off the ills produced by their cousins
in the processed food business.

Some of the common fruits and vegetables happen to be known as best
antioxidant and high lycopene foods. For long lists of health benefits,
google those terms. Studies show vitamins and fiber and other nutrients are
better in foods where they naturally occur than in supplement extracts.
Lycopene comes to mind.

I'm no herbalist by a long shot but starting to get into the growing. For
instance there's a supplement I get called Zyflamend, and most of the herbs
in it are commonly grown in most climates. Many herbs are easy care
perennials or easy annuals, and it doesn't take a big garden space to keep
them. Some are showy flowers like Echinacea. My experience with this is way
too limited and I hope others can start filling in the blanks for us.