livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Can Jamie Oliver Really Start a Food Revolution in Huntington WV?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Can Jamie Oliver Really Start a Food Revolution in Huntington WV?
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 10:45:45 -0700

Can Jamie Oliver Really Start a Food Revolution in Huntington WV?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/halle-tecco/can-jamie-oliver-really-s_b_512529.html
March 25, 2010 11:40 AM
Earlier this week I caught the premier of Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution,
a reality TV show that follows this chummy Brit around Huntington, WV as he
tries to transform the eating habits in what he claims is America's
unhealthiest city. But not everyone in West Virginia welcomed Jamie Oliver
with open arms. While some are truly resistant to changing their eating
habits (and being told what to do by an outsider), others are simply insulted
and disappointed at the way ABC portrays their humble, southern town. Many
have questioned if he's there to make a real change, or simply to make a
lucrative TV show.
"This is nothing more sensationalist, predatory reality TV. Unfortunately,
West Virginia is an easy target and Jamie Oliver is an up-and-comer," claimed
a comment on a Newsweek story. The show starts off with pushback as Oliver
appears on the local Rocky n' Rod morning show, where DJ Rod protests
Oliver's authority saying, "We don't want to sit around and eat lettuce all
day. Who made you king?" Oliver continues to face resistance. First, from the
lunch ladies who doubt his conviction that kids would choose fresh chicken
and salad over frozen chicken nuggets and neon milk. Then, from the kids
themselves as they choose the later. Towards the end viewers are fed a
melodramatic monologue where Oliver proclaims, with tears, his bona fide
desire to change the way Huntingtonians eat. But some locals just aren't
falling for Oliver's twist.
Mary Calhoun Brown, Huntington resident and mother of three said, "It's
ironic to me that as backward as West Virginians are portrayed, every one of
us but Jamie knew that a few personal visits and some cameras are not going
to change the eating habits of a community. You just can't do that in the
short amount of time he was here."
Watch the show for free on Hulu.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/136381/jamie-olivers-food-revolution-episode-101