livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Locavorism: More expensive?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Locavorism: More expensive?
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 09:11:04 -0700

Eva and Laurie Ann: what gowers get paid is a thorny issue, and has been a
long time. Am I biased as a small grower myself? Yes. But sustainable
commercial food production must first sustain the growers or we won't have
any growers. Simple economics.

Here's what we're up against. At stores and fast food today the average
family spends a record low of 10% of income on food - lowest of any people in
history. The table is rigged against us politically with field crop price
supports (our tax dollars) and much lower fuel prices for production and
distribution than the rest of the world. Not to mention the cheaper
"food-like substances" (Pollan) that fill the stores loaded up with sugar,
salt, MSG, transfats, HFCS, HVP, excitotoxins, etc. all of which makes eating
cheaper and deadlier. Think "supersize me", the video.

All these shortcuts let them sell stuff much cheaper. Take Acid-hydrolyzed
vegetable protein, or HVP, produced by "boiling cereals or legumes, such as
soy, corn, or wheat (all crops subsidized by government), in hydrochloric
acid and then neutralizing the solution with sodium hydroxide. The resulting
dark coloured liquid contains, among other amino acids, glutamic acid, which
consumers are more familiar with in the form of its sodium salt, monosodium
glutamate, or MSG. It is used as a flavor enhancer in many processed foods,
and circumvents the necessity to add the controversial monosodium glutamate
on the label."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid-hydrolyzed_vegetable_protein
See also the FDA recall list: Products Containing Hydrolyzed Vegetable
Protein, Information current as of noon March 11, 2010, 153 entries in list
(disguised MSG)
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/hvpcp/

Heinberg, the fossil fuel analyst, called for fifty million new growers - but
will that happen at today's produce prices? Don't think so. Not till things
get a lot worse out there. I'd feel better growing for the middle/lower
income demographic, but as a retiree myself I can't afford it. Just no
percentage in doing the same work for half the return. So we grow for flavor
and repeat customers at high end markets here, and get $4-5 lb for tomatoes
and our Giant Marconi roasting peppers get a dollar apiece, and so on. The
same crowd that pays more for inferior flavor at Whole Paycheck, and seems to
be more concious of health concerns, not just food borne outbreaks. We stress
nutrient-dense foods are healthier, grown in healthy, remineralized soil. We
believe you can tell nutritious food by the taste. And while we do have to
get a return, we stress it's something wholly worthwhile and encourage others.