livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Locavorism: More expensive?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Laurie Ann Powell <laurie@powellclan.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Locavorism: More expensive?
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 20:01:39 -0500

The article said:

<<You may say, of course, that locavorism is far too expensive to feed anyone who lives outside the privileged confines of Berkeley or Brookline: Who can afford $3 tomatoes and $12 loaves of bread? But in fact, the costs of the modern agriculture industry are far greater, and more insidious, than the costs of returning to a more localized model of farming would be.>>

I find it very surprising that this would be the expectation. I think it is only in places like Berkeley or Brookline that a local farmer would try to get away with $3 tomatoes (or need to, because of the cost of real estate).

My local dairy charges only $3.75 for a gallon of whole raw milk (a tiny bit cheaper than the grocery store puke), $2 pint for cream and a very reasonable price for cheese by the pound. The vegetable farmer I visit charges Wal-Mart prices or less for prime produce - and often gives me free stuff they have excess of. My rancher checks several local meat markets and prices his meat in the middle of the price spread.

Unfortunately, these farmers are all on a very thin profit margin, and are not making anywhere near what they are worth! However, their vision and mission is to educate, model sustainability, and to provide clean healthy food to those who care enough to make the trip. Their free advice on local conditions for my own farming attempts are invaluable, and has more than paid for the time and gas I spend getting there.

Another surprise to me has been that my shopping is now _quicker_ even though I make more stops. Dashing in and out of farm stands and small storefronts with simple products is much faster and less wearying than hiking the Wal-Mart parking lot, browsing long aisles of non-food, and comparing prices between multiple brands.

Just some thoughts. I do LOVE the term, however. Where's my bumper sticker? :)

Laurie Ann