livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Oops! Re: weevils in beans/lentils

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Debbie McDonald <lbirke1@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Oops! Re: weevils in beans/lentils
  • Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 12:55:47 -0800 (PST)

Yea, that is how I even knew they were there, I put them in a bowl to rinse and up they floated. Like I said, they were dead but no evidence on the food having been chewed so that made me more paranoid, what was on that food? that killed the bugs:). I just rinsed till no bugs floated and then did it several more times to be sure and maybe rinse off what ever was on it. I cooked some mixed beans with bacon and hamburger, never a thought;). I left a bowl of lentils with some water in it, fed some to the chicken last night with oatmeal, uncooked and she picked at it pretty good but this morning the lentils are sprouting. I made the wild birds the peanut butter, lard, oatmeal, corn meal, flour recipe and they don't seem too enthralled with it. There was sugar in the recipe but I thought "what?" and left it out, maybe that is why:).