livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Gardening on Construction Fill

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Arzeena Hamir <arzeenahamir@shaw.ca>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Gardening on Construction Fill
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 07:38:18 -0800

I would head the advice of the nursery. Along with possible hydrocarbon contamination, asphalt also contains heavy metals. Eighteen to 24 inches would be my recommendation. Here, our local landfill does yardwaste composting and sells this material for about $5 a pickup. It's not particularly nutrient rich but provides the 'fluff" to fill beds.

Arzeena Hamir MSc. P.Ag.
Coordinator
Richmond Food Security Society
http://richmondfoodsecure.blogspot.com