livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Gardening on Construction Fill

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Jennifer Hamilton <jenham@mac.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Gardening on Construction Fill
  • Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 17:02:06 -0800

I normally lurk on this list...but I need some advice. I want to start a garden on my new place, but I am now finding that the area I want to plant is probably construction fill. I'm finding lots of asphalt chunks.

Would it be worth my time to sift them all out or should I just go straight to raised beds? If I need raised beds, how deep should they be? I was originally thinking 12", but a local nursery advised 18". I hadn't really planned on needing to buy dirt!

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks.
Jennifer Hamilton
Santa Rosa, CA