livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] 11 Best Foods You Aren?t Eating

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pego Rice <firekeeper38@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] 11 Best Foods You Aren?t Eating
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 15:41:44 -0800 (PST)

Cabbage stores very well in the fridge or root cellar, just strip off the ugly leaves when you need to use them.  Or 'kaut them.  Pomegranate will take chill down to 14f so it has a good growing range and can be tucked into a pot.  Turmeric certainly can and must be grown in a pot, it likes outdoor weather only when it resembles our indoors.  Canned pumpkin often is not actually canned pumpkin but some more flavorsome hard squash, closely related.  The nutritional qualities vary more due to soil than breed for many of them.  Godiva is a breed of seed pumpkin that has almost no shell and can be eaten without shelling.  Note tho, that all squash have good, edible seed.  My fav will often be Sweet Dumpling or Acorn, or Butternut.  The Sardine substitute is easier than you would think.  Improved flowering varieties of Purslane now being available and it grows well in pots so can be kept through the year.  Purslane makes an excellent salad, esp with a yogurt-based dressing and has the needful Omega-3 fatty acids. Of course so, also, do any range-feeding critter product. Eggs, Beef, ect Omega-3s aren't hard to find in range-only livestock.  Our need for supplement comes from our CAFO system.

If your having trouble finding a plant variety, check the Mother Earth News site, they have a search engine tailored for this.

Yours, Pego

<<I'm open to substitutions there. I can't see growing cinnamon, pomgranite, turmeric, or sardines around these parts ... Chard is good but I much prefer golden beets, and beet greens lightly heated in olive oil. Cabbage doesn't store well. And I'd rather have long-keeping winter squash like butternut or delicata instead of pumpkin - esp canned pumpkin. Anyone have favorite ways to cook winter squash? I'm all ears.>> paul tradingpost@lobo.net>>