livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The 11 Best Foods You Aren’t Eating

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pumpkin Lady <pumpkingal@clearwire.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The 11 Best Foods You Aren’t Eating
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 13:25:42 -0600

Tradingpost wrote:
And I'd rather have long-keeping winter squash like butternut or delicata instead of pumpkin - esp canned pumpkin.

I was told delicatas don't keep all that long. Since I can't grow them- plants have died on me 3 times and I gave up for now - I can't say anything about how long it keeps personally.

As for pumpkins, it depends on the pumpkin. There are so many kinds, some are better than others. Some are better for one thing than another thing. I'm still mad at myself for not taking better notes. I grew one type of pumpkin that made absolutely hands down THE BEST pumpkin cheesecake, but since I don't remember which one it was, I have to grow everything out that I grew that year again and figure out which one it was. (Unfortunately I grew something on the order of 20 types of winter squash and pumpkins that year *sigh*)

Anyone have favorite ways to cook winter squash? I'm all ears.

I have MANY favorite winter squash/pumpkin recipes. The question really is more: what do you want to do with it?

I have recipes for everything from candied pumpkin cubes to soufflés, to soups with either chunks or puree, casseroles, muffins enough to choke a horse, tea breads, yeast breads, scones, cookies, cakes, cheesecakes, even cheeseballs.

Morgan