livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Regenerative Organic Farming:

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Regenerative Organic Farming:
  • Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2010 12:02:42 -0700

I don't but I'm glad to hear some have a good feeling about the next few
years, Joan.

This is from
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/01/AR2010010101196.html?hpid=topnews
Lost decade for U.S. economy, workers
Saturday, January 2, 2010
There has been zero net job creation since December 1999. No previous
decade going back to the 1940s had job growth of less than 20 percent.
Economic output rose at its slowest rate of any decade since the 1930s as
well. For most of the past 70 years, the U.S. economy has grown at a steady
clip, generating perpetually higher incomes and wealth for American
households. But since 2000, the story is starkly different. The past decade
was the worst for the U.S. economy in modern times, a sharp reversal from a
long period of prosperity that is leading economists and policymakers to
fundamentally rethink the underpinnings of the nation's growth. It was,
according to a wide range of data, a lost decade for American workers.
---

Every report I see (and I go through a ton of news every day) convinces me we
need to ditch the corporate wage/debt treadmill and learn useful skills to
barter or earn a living in our local communities. That is, make our work
focus on the core material necessities of life, food, shelter, transportation
- growers, building trades, mechanics etc will always find work, and find
others with something to trade for it.

Personally I have observed that most people like to eat. So it seems obvious
to me I should be a grower.