livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Killing animals (was "Harvey"-who knows why)

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pego Rice <firekeeper38@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Killing animals (was "Harvey"-who knows why)
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 13:01:12 -0800 (PST)

We're really getting into spiritual issues with that, Smitty

I have to agree that there's spirit in all these animals and I think you're dissing the snakes with whom I like a handful of people (yeah, admittedly not many) have a special affinity.  Wild snakes would come up to me in the yard and woods, drove my family crazy  We lived in rattler and moccasin country.   Snakes are rational, not usually filled with fluffy out-of-control emo like, say, dogs. (which strangely, I also have an affinity for)  They make choices based on logic that I wish more people would make, like creating associations with each other, even between mortal enemies, that is, snakes that usually predate upon each other and the like, to endure bad winters and survive other inclemency.

All animals and frankly plants and even rocks have some spirit, that doesn't change the fact that we all live and die, or that we all partake of each other for our existence.  Justice, respect, love and dignity, these are human deals and humans work better with them, we get more out of our interchange with our land, our livestock (or lack thereof) and our community.

I also would recommend to you the aforementioned book, serious Buddhists and Hindi have recognized that it isn't about weather or not our lives cost that of others, but finding the least damaging course.  If you have a spiritual issue with taking life, it is good to know the clearest course.  It is also civil to remember or at least realize that this is the issue.  There is nothing Harvey's critters are going to endure that they would not endure in the wild.  Few animals expect to see old age.

Here we have to agree to disagree.  There is something there and to say
there isn't is ignorance.
I have seen that something leave when animals pass.  Humans have something
more. For thirty four years I have seen it. Yes some don't have it and it is
like looking into the eyes of a snake, but most have it. It is called a soul
and the eyes are the window of the soul. You can see it in the eyes of
innocent children before they lose that innocence. You can see it in the
eyes of young folks and old that have truly found love. Then there is
Intelligence. I have seen it in the eyes of the elderly and a few others.
Even in the eyes of a couple of my dogs.