livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] INVASIVE EARTHWORMS!!!!

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pego Rice <firekeeper38@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] INVASIVE EARTHWORMS!!!!
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 12:22:24 -0800 (PST)

Hi Terry

Your solution may be in one of your problems, Move your worms to a new, insulated, bin in the Autumn and then let the old bin freeze hard and long outside.  Eisnea Fetida is a shallow delver and in the wild they have to go deeper than usual to survive the cold.  A bin will not keep them alive w/out insulation and being brought into the garage or something.  The eggs will survive more but as stated a good long freeze will do the job.

I can't do that here, Texas doesn't see much of that side of freeze.  A high heat compost or tossing it into the oven/freezer are my only choices ATT or ignoring the issue until someone (finally) does the southern survey and separates the natives from the imports.

Yours, Pego

<<My small box of worms seems to have died--victims of cold, as I had not
insulated the box, and it was quite exposed when we had hard frosts three
days in a row. ....  *am wondering,
though, how a person who is trying to live as inexpensively as possible,
using as little electric as possible, can possibly freeze* the volumes of
worm composted materials that they would use in order to effectively take
advantage of the final product..>Terry WFrosted acres>>