livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] INVASIVE EARTHWORMS!!!!

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Smittyctz6 <cityhomesteader@gmail.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] INVASIVE EARTHWORMS!!!!
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 10:44:13 -0500

Sorry for going off on a rant.. Just seemed so ludicrous.
Yes we do all that.. Just have a problem maintaining soil fertility because of the sandstone ledge that runs the entire yard.  I grow in raised beds on a south east sloping hillside. All the land I have and this is more than likely my final resting place. Water falls from the sky here and so far we have not had to use our city water hardly at all.  I have rain barrels and use other barrels to contain what I harvest, with a sears pump. Will be working a gravity drip system into my gardens this years as I design it. With soaker hoses and a homemade 3 ways manifold made from pipe and fittings that will allow 3 hoses to run down my 4 foot wide X 12 foot long beds. Building a "reservoir tank" up on top of the hill and letting gravity water the beds as it flows down slope.
Fertilizing with compost, compost teas,  herbal liquid feeds, fish emulsion, and sea weed extract this year. Adding minerals with basalt  rock dust ..  Mulching with leaf mold . Reading all winter and writing notes and planning extensive plantings as well as building a 10 ft wide X 12 ft Long tunnel over some beds to grow winter crops and extend my season as far as I can.. Will be growing more things up trellises and adding even more trellises to all my raised beds.  As well as planting a forest garden and incorporating more small fruits and tree crops into my yard. Which is .42 of an acre in a pie shape with the house set more towards the road and to the left of my property giving me a good size yard. My yard bottoms out in a flat area in a small wood. Where we have made a native wildlife area and are planing edibles for ourselves as well..