livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] INVASIVE EARTHWORMS!!!!

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Terry Wereb <frostedacres@gmail.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] INVASIVE EARTHWORMS!!!!
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 10:57:43 -0500

i think you have all hit  on points within the article-- the Holden Arboretum is watching several spots where the  wooded areas have suddenly become bare-- and yes, an area covered in worm castings, devoid of plant life...unsettling, to say the least.
 My small box of worms seems to have died--victims of cold, as I had not insulated the box, and it was quite exposed when we had hard frosts three days in a row. I put a bunch of rabbit manure, oak leaves, and ground corn cob into a large trash can yesterday, added some
fresh' green matter, as well, and to help with bacterial action, poured in about 1/2 gallon of water that had been standing in a drainage swale. I wiIl probably  turn over some boards today and add any worms I find under them to the can. I am thinking the larger volume of the can, plus it's placement in the sun, will permit the worms to do some work over the winter.
 It is hard to believe that earthworms could be considered dangerous to an ecosystem, but then lately, not much is surprising me...  am wondering, though, how a person who is trying to live as inexpensively as possible, using as little electric as possible, can possibly freeze the volumes of worm composted materials that they would use in order to effectively take advantage of the final product..

 Terry W
Frosted acres