livingontheland - [Livingontheland] INVASIVE EARTHWORMS!!!!

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Terry Wereb <frostedacres@gmail.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] INVASIVE EARTHWORMS!!!!
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 09:44:56 -0500

Forgot to bring it back with me for more in-depth reading-- BUT--
 If anyone has acces to the current copy of "Leaves"-- the newsletter that Holden Arboretum publishes and sends to members- there is a very interesting article on INVASIVE SPECIES of earthworms, and how they can be detrimental to an ecosystem. The "red, composting worm" was mentioned, and it was suggested that people FREEZE their compost for about a month before using it in order to destroy the worms and their eggs before using the compost.

 Some of the damage caused by the worms were listed as water flow, moisture retention, changes in seed banks and mycorhizial (sp?) populations. There was also the competition against and resulting decimation of the local worm species. it seems some of these "asian" worms have been found on 3 of the wooded/forested properties that Holden controls...

 I will try to remember to bring back the article next trip into town, so I can provide the scientific name of a couple of these little boogers...

Terry W
Frosted acres