livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] INVASIVE EARTHWORMS!!!!

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pego Rice <firekeeper38@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] INVASIVE EARTHWORMS!!!!
  • Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 20:18:38 -0800 (PST)

Nope

None of the commercially available worms are native.   The last Ice Age iced all the terrestrial/manure type earthworms that consume dead leaves and such so everything you see like that north of the Mason-Dixon line are imports.  Their life-cycles are destroying habitats everywhere they spread to up north.  That was what created the sudden recognition of the problem.  There in the northeast and northern tier states people have been cleaning up their factory wastes but found that a creeping destruction kept spreading in spite of their efforts.  Quiet forests with thick, thick leaf mould layers and active vibrant ecologies would suddenly erupt in all-night rustle-fests.  People would talk about the leafy whispering and then the leaf mould would disapear, after that the humus that these foreign worms would create would also disapear, since it is so much more prone to erosion and would not have any local ecological niche inhabitant keeping it in place.  Finally there was an active survey done and they found our familiar (but imported) worms under all the destroyed soils and the rare native Earthworms like the lily-scented pallids rapidly becoming extinct.  Nobody is blaming us gardeners.  The 1st ones came with the 1st plants imported to the states and they've been bred for centuries for fishing, it's just that the slow creep has finally caught up to our awareness

Here in the south no such survey has been undertaken.  Attitudes generally range from "What's YOUR problem!" to "It's too late" Which is an utterly unsupportable statement to make when you've not even troubled to look for any evidence.

I use Black Soldier Flies which are ubiquitous at this time and have some ability to consume spoilt meat/dairy wastes.

Yours, Pego

<<Kinda Nuts.. Red worms AKA manure worms are pretty common here in CT and I
am pretty sure Native>>Smittyctz6>>