livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] cooking at home

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] cooking at home
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 20:45:51 -0700

The best thing I've seen on TV is two guys, Jamie Oliver and The Manic
Organic (Canada) picking food from their own gardens and cooking it up. That
connection is so rarely seen anywhere in mass media.

from http://www.betterfarming.com/archive/short-12.htm

Organic goes Manic
Nobody has time to cook any more, but they seem to have time to watch
television, hence the popularity of the specialty channel, Food Network
Canada. Its latest breaking show, called "The Manic Organic," is hosted by
organic farmer Antony John from Sebringville, Ont. John has made a name for
himself supplying specialty vegetables to roughly 20 high-end restaurants in
the Niagara Peninsula, Stratford and Toronto. He also teaches part-time at
the nearby Stratford Chefs School.

Nine 30-minute Manic Organic shows were taped last summer around the
Stratford area featuring John, who is billed as a biologist, landscaper,
painter and cook. The local southern Ontario countryside is showcased, as are
some of the toney restaurants in the area.

The publicity for the show says: "Each episode follows a main vegetable and
two side vegetables through the life cycle from planting out as seeds to
nurturing in the garden without pesticides and finally harvesting and
cooking. Along the way Antony (John), with his own unique brand of humour,
demonstrates how viewers can employ organic techniques in their own home
gardens."

The first show in the series was aired April 11 and featured Welsh-born John
seeking out wild leeks in a local bush. The leeks are a main ingredient in a
Welsh mussel stew made by chef Neil Baxter of Rundles Restaurant in nearby
Stratford. Rundles is a favourite of the Shakespearean Festival theatre crowd.

John is among a group of local farmers who have specialized in growing very
fresh produce for local restaurants in the Stratford area.