livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Wood does belong in the soil?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Smittyctz6 <cityhomesteader@gmail.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Wood does belong in the soil?
  • Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 08:01:15 -0500

Not to be little your wisdom my friend, but some one forgot to tell ole ma nature that wood doesn't belong in the soil, because she has a mighty host of digesters that work ceaselessly turning wood into soil.  I use her as not to offend others in my belief that the Creator made all this happen.  But I'm off track.
Whether you believe in billions of years or thousands of years wood has been breaking down into soil. I have been doing the same thing on a less grand scale for 14 years and the results are amazing in my own personal garden and landscape. The wood I put in the soil was gone within 2 years of putting it in after I composted it for one year with Compost and manure.  Now it takes only a half year from newly chipped wood to half finished compost ready for the beds. The original soil filled with the right microbes and Macrobes came from a old rotted log. Wood has it's decomposers as do all living things, even us.. So all told I have wood in the soil break down within 3 full years. With no problem?  I must be a wizzard!!  LOL

Paul wrote:
"False choice. Wood chips don't belong in the soil anyway; unlike cellulose, lignin takes too long to break down and robs nitrogen from growing plants. Wood chips make great mulch, and mulch pays for itself in weed control, yield, soil improvement, and irrigation costs. We have to take in the Big Picture."

--
Bruce Smith
InHisThyme Homestead

A little faith will bring your soul to heaven, but a lot of faith will bring heaven to your soul.  ~Author Unknown