livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Herder Vs. Farmer

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: mdnagel@verizon.net
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Herder Vs. Farmer
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 23:52:48 -0500 (CDT)

Exactly!

It has been PROVEN that animals actually are beneficial for grasses (whether grass itself is best for livestock is something that I could bring up in a separate discussion).

Grass farmers are now intentionally encouraging trampling of lots of the grass in order to create soil contact, which, not only helps embed grass seed into the soil, but also provides food for soil microbes.  These farmers know what works: they monitor things very closely, and can easily demonstrate the results (via better stands of grass, not to mention through brix testing).

A previous poster stated that hooves damage land.  Well, EXCESS of ANYTHING is problematic.  Those hoof prints, as noted above, can actually be beneficial!  Further, it's not the stocking rate that's to blame, but the rest period between grazings: the most successful (most sufficient) grass farmers utilize high density mob grazing with proper pasture rests.

I'd add that animals need not only be for meat.  Fiber and dairy also.

In the end it's all about sustainability.  As Jared Diamond chronicled in his book "Collapse," one of the ways that a civilization could perish is by the loss of a key trading partner; think about this the next time stuff is coming on to your farm: if that stuff wasn't available what would happen to you?

And regarding horses.  The fact is that horses are little used planet-wide.  Where they do excel is in transportation for humans.  As for hauling, horses cannot compare to oxen and water buffalo.  These other animals are easier to keep than horses too.

-Mark Nagel
Everett, WA